Saturday, March 03, 2007

Purity Rant

Whilst the New Superlon boils and bubbles, I have time for a purity rant.

For an entire week I have been somewhat slightly confused about my imaginary image of the blogosphere. I've been blue-eyed* thinking of an idealistic equality and the freedom of speech, but obviously how wrong have I been. I have noticed some certain hints about discrimination, contempt and naive schoolgirlish/-boyish bullying, but that has never happened to me before, or possibly I have just been blindfolded.

I have been reading one blog, not so regularly, but from time to time, because my friend links to it. I had never commented anything, because I constantly have this underlying fear of my flimsy capability of English speaking. Last Thursday I made a decision to comment and so I did. You might not believe, but it was a very ordinary and short comment. Nothing hasty and nonsensical like I usually scribble. Later I made another visit and saw that the owner of the blog had deleted my comment without saying anything. Hmph.

Actually that wasn't a rant. Yesterday I participated a demonstration, which was nice, civilized, quiet, arty and aesthetical. Hmph.

Speaking of purity, I want this, please. I can't afford it. Hmph.






* blue-eyed [sinisilmäinen] in Finnish means naiveness

13 comments:

miss-cellany said...

Can I just say that one of the real highlights of my week has been getting 2 lovely comments from people I didn't know, one of whom was you - to find out that you had been reading my blog was such a happy moment. Might sound funny, but it was.

When I first read that I got some terrified panic that it might have been me in some techno cock-up, but your comment is very much saved, back over at my place.

Any way - if someone did that then they are silly. Does the fact that you were partly involved in pulling me from teetering on the edge, to full submersion in this blog thing go any way towards any kind of...[i don't know what word I mean, leave a friendly... and wil return when the word finds me]

Dave said...

'Wide-eyed' in English means much the same , but not exactly, as Finnish 'blue-eyed'.

Aren't all the Nordic peoples blue-eyed and blonde?

Taiga the Fox said...

Thanks Miss-cellany :)
I first started to read your blog, because of the link from BTMMW, but I liked it and stayed there. And I do remember very well all the first comments I got and how happy I was, and still am if someone comments.

Oh, and just in case, the blog wasn't yours (or any of my lovely readers'), but you got the friend right, just another blog. When I think of it now, how many times I have wished someone had deleted my comments, because sometimes they are really worth of deleting, but sill I was surprised how bad I felt. Well, I should be happy not having any real troubles in my life :)

Taiga the Fox said...

No Dave, those are Swedes, we are more like this.

miss-cellany said...

Can I just do this :) as I've only just learnt how to do it.

'Compensation' was the word that I was looking for, but when I found it it was really not worth the effort.

:) 'make I laugh' as they say in Somerset.

Dave said...

Who would have thought that a 5-minute film about a sauna would be so, well, dull. And with disappointingly little female nudity.

Why don't you comment at my place any more? I miss you.

Occasional Poster of Comments said...

That was certainly odd behaviour. I mean, who wouldn't want you commenting on their blog? Daft blogger.

Taiga the Fox said...

Miss-cellany, yes you can :)

Dave, I'm sorry, I've been really horribly lazy at commenting and been dull as the sauna. I will be commenting again :)

OPC, many, but thanks :)

Sopwith-Camel said...

When I visited Sweden and Finland, I was struck by how many people had yellow eyes. It was quite disconcerting to me, I thought of them as cat-people.

I like the sculpture of the two inverse light-bulbs. What a shame they are out of stock.

Taiga the Fox said...

__/\_/\__
meow


Actually it's not a sculpture, but a real lamp and I'd love to have one.

Sopwith-Camel said...

What's new, P-C?

But what happens when the bulb burns out? Can you get it mended or do you have to buy a complete new bulb?

I am now getting ideas about turning old wine bottles into lamps by putting wires inside them. Never mind recycle and re-use, I'm into re-inventing.

Taiga the Fox said...

I didn't know, but MoMa, which also sells those, tells: Inspired by industrial glass bricks, this witty lamp emits soft, diffused light. The bulb is sandwiched between two heavy hand-cast glass blocks that can be placed on the floor or tabletop. Stack them for dramatic effect, or even step on them.
Accommodates up to 25-watt candelabra bulb (not included).

Sopwith-Camel said...

Ah-ha, thank-you for your research. So now I think I have a project for my kiln, because for a long time I have wanted to have a light bulb inside a wine bottle. It is easy to get ships into bottles, but light bulbs are not so easy to persuade.