Tuesday, February 05, 2008

So that's why King Adolf Frederick of Sweden died of digestion problems on February 12, 1771

Today we have been living difficult times. It was year 1856 when Finns were forced to face same kind of serious problems earlier. The next year of the big dilemma is going to be 2160.

Normally on Shrove Tuesday we have to decide if we want to eat our laskiaispulla filled with strawberry jam instead of almond paste, but today, it was also Runeberg's Day. What a catastrophy! We had to decide if we want to eat Runeberg's tart instead and believe me, a pastry of almonds & rum filling and a topping of raspberry jam in a sugar ring is good.
During my hectic day I decided to eat them all. Later.




I just remembered I forgot to visit the shop. I missed the fabulous sugarparty!

Well, reading this made me feel bit better, sort of: King Adolf Frederick of Sweden died of digestion problems on February 12, 1771 after consuming a meal consisting of lobster, caviar, sauerkraut, smoked herring and champagne, which was topped off by 14 servings of semla, served with bowls of hot milk. Semla was the king's favorite dessert.

Bollocks. It didn't make me feel any better. I want my buns and tarts!

9 comments:

Occasional Poster of Comments said...

You forgot to eat either of those nice looking sweet things? You must be overworked at the moment :)


>>Semla was the king's favorite dessert.<<

Hmm, 14 servings of it... Yep, I'd say that was a pretty safe assumption.

Good old Wikipedia :)

Taiga the Fox said...

Yes I did. Sigh. I'd love a glass of champagne now as well. Sigh.

Occasional Poster of Comments said...

Mmmmm... and some lobster...

I nearly bought some shark steaks this morning. But they'd run out when I went back. Sigh. Well, they might have been horrible. But anyway.

Anonymous said...

The Klein family had pancakes last night, but that bun looks lovely. As does the Marimekko tablecloth and the plate (Marimekko too?)

Dave said...

*waves, pitifully*

Taiga the Fox said...

Marsha, unfortunately it isn't my photo this time, so the tablecloth or the plate isn't mine, but I guess the plate isn't Marimekko. It looks bit like it might be Swedish, maybe Rörstrand?

*waves to Dave*

patroclus said...

Ahh, yet more reasons why Finland is great: a day that has *two* excellent traditional puddings! Taiga, I think you should hold your own private Shrove Tuesday and Runeberg's Day to make up for your loss.

OPC: Erm...the reason the shark steaks had run out could be because James bought six of them. (They were 30p each! Bargain!)

patroclus said...

NB: The plate looks like Orla Kiely, but apparently she doesn't do plates. Mysterious.

Taiga the Fox said...

Hi, Patroclus, nice to see you here!
Ooh, I like that Orla Kiely really much, but I suppose the plate isn't that either. I think I have to ask a friend now...